HHGregg - The truth about hh gregg from an employee

Nov 22, 2010
review #208330

The most unethical retail operation I have ever seen.

1) They change the list price on all the items according to what b.s. promotion they are running. Example a samsung washer was on sale for 699.00

at a 20% off sale, the next promotion was 10% off but the sale price was the same.List price was changed.

2) Extended warranties.. The warranty price is suppose to be determined by the selling price of the item.hh gregg charges the price against the list price, even though the warranty will only replace the item based in the price paid. Example 2000.00 refridgerator warrant is 249.00 I sell the fridge for 1500.00 the warranty should be 169.00 but not at hh gregg they charge the 249.00.

3)Here it is a few days befor black friday and hh gregg has decided to raise the threshold to get a rebate on the 70.00 delivery charge from $497.00 to different prices for different appliances. The new minimum is 600.00 on ranges and dishwashers and 1000.00 for refridgerators. They did this now knowing they will be able to slip it by when customers are in a more frantic state.

I can add so many more things about service, pricing, financing and the unethical treatment of employees but I hope you get the message.

Be careful when shopping at hh gregg

974f1ed
Had an experience with HHGregg?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
Joe

Aug 31 Van Buren Charter Township, Michigan

I hate that store, they are on u like vultures! Never let you walk around and look, if u do another red shirt is driving you nuts to make a sale, been in there 3 times and hassled by 7 red shirts every time, what the *** ! If I need help I'll ask for it, last time in two red shirts were fighting over me for a sale, I walked out and told them I'll never return. That store in highland indiana sucks!

cheap company

Jul 21

HHGregg is a cheap company. They don't care about there employees and the hourly pay I made that over 10 years ago. No time in half for working a paid holiday. There psp plan is very over priced and the company they use has a rating of 1. The rebates the company gives on has rating of 0. The rebate is on (merchandize) customer buys. The problems with rebate center is .. good luck if they answer the phone , good luck if you get your rebate with in 6 months and that only if they haven't lost your paper work.

Jeff Bird

May 12

I am a Current Employee returning after many years. HHGregg is one of the best companies you could ever wish to work for. The whole company effort is based around taking care of the customer first. We do that by providing the customer with an environment in which they can receive as much or as little information about their choices and selections that they choose. We will even help you shop your choices against local competition to insure that you are receiving the best price in town and then back your purchases up with our 90 Day Price Promise.
Selling most major brand Appliances and a selection of Tv's like you will see no where else. Along with a long list of other items.... coming into HHGregg can turn into a real browsing experience... If you haven't been into see us yet... Come on down to Rockford Illinois store and ask for Jeff Bird... I will be happy to work hard for you in order to make sure that your selection fits your needs and that your experience with HHGregg will be A+. Hope to see you soon!!!

3 5 Reply

Jan 02

Don’t Buy From HH Gregg

I purchased a new LG Washer from HH Gregg for $860. I also added the $200 5-year Premium Service Plan. All was well for 18 months and then the washer began making a horrible noise. We contacted HH Gregg and their warranty company Warrantech who sent out a repairman. The repairman determined the washer could not be fixed and that perhaps it was a manufacturer’s problem. Well, after 5 months now and repeated calls to H.H. Gregg, Warrantech, and LG, I still do not have a repaired or replaced washer, nor do I have any $ in return.

H.H. Gregg has done NOTHING to get this matter resolved. Up to this point I have purchased $$$$ from HH Gregg trying to support an Indiana company. Never again!

My advice to you is to not buy from H.H. Gregg and NEVER purchase their enhanced warranty. IT IS A RIP OFF.

Please feel free to share. Other need to know what this company is all about!

1 1 Reply
SOMEWHERE IN NORTH CAROLINA RE

Nov 19, 2013

I HAVE WORKED AT HHGREGG IN NORTH CAROLINA FOR OVER A YEAR, HERE ARE THE TRUE PROS AND CONS FROM MY STORE. PROS: 1. THE EMPOLYEES HAVE FUN. THATS ALL! CONS: 1. THE MANAGERS ARE LAZY 2. THE MANAGERS HAVE DOUBLE STANDARDS REGARDING WHAT THEY DO AND WHAT THEY TELL YOU TO DO. 3. THE MANAGERS ARE CONDESCENDING INCONSISTENT KNOT-ZEES WHO RELISH IN MICRO MANAGING BECAUSE OF THEYRE POWER TRIP. 4. THE MANAGERS DO NOTHING DURING OUR "TRAINGING" THAT HAPPENS EVERYDAY AN HOUR BEFORE THE STORE OPENS. 5. MY STORE MANAGER DOESN'T KNOW THAT I HEARD THE WISPER OF "F*[K|NG |D|OT" ADRESSED AT ME FOR NOT KNOW HOW TO DO THE JOB OF A CASHER. 6. THE MANAGERS COMPLETELY BERATE YOU IN FRONT OF FELLOW EMPLOYEES AND CUSTOMERS IF YOU DONT KNOW THE ANSWER FOR SOMTHING THAT YOU WERE NEVER TRAINED ON OR EXPOSED TOO. 6. THE COMPANY STEELS MONEY FROM THE EMPLOYEES BY DOCKING COMMISSION IF A CUSTOMER USES THE HHGREGG CARD (5% discount comes out or your pay), CHANGES THE "LANDED COST" WHENEVER THEY WANT TO WITHOUT LETTING THE SALES TEAM KNOW, WHICH LEADS TO LOWER COMMISSION. 7. CONSTANTLY MAKES US CHANGE PRICE TAGS WHEN THE PRICE HASNT CHANGED. 8. RAISED "STAFFING" 40% OVER LAST YEAR WHILE TRAFFIC AND SALES ARE DOWN THUS, AGAIN, LOWER PAY CHECKS. IN SUMMING IT UP, ONLY WORK HERE IF ITS YOUR ONLY CHANCE AT A JOB. NEW HIRES ARE TOLD TO EXPECT $800 TO $1,000 PER WEEK WHICH IS RARELY REACHED BY THE TOP PERFORMERS. THE COMPANY HAS NO CONCERN FOR THE SALES PEOPLE, MY REGONAL MANAGER STATED THAT "IF THE SALES PEOPLE... Show more

3 0 Reply
SOMEWHERE IN NORTH CAROLINA

Nov 19, 2013

I HAVE WORKED AT HHGREGG IN NORTH CAROLINA FOR OVER A YEAR, HERE ARE THE TRUE PROS AND CONS FROM MY STORE. PROS: 1. THE EMPOLYEES HAVE FUN. THATS ALL! CONS: 1. THE MANAGERS ARE LAZY 2. THE MANAGERS HAVE DOUBLE STANDARDS REGARDING WHAT THEY DO AND WHAT THEY TELL YOU TO DO. 3. THE MANAGERS ARE CONDESCENDING INCONSISTENT *** WHO RELISH IN MICRO MANAGING BECAUSE OF THEYRE POWER TRIP. 4. THE MANAGERS DO NOTHING DURING OUR "TRAINGING" THAT HAPPENS EVERYDAY AN HOUR BEFORE THE STORE OPENS. 5. MY STORE MANAGER DOESN'T KNOW THAT I HEARD THE WISPER OF "****NG ***" ADRESSED AT ME FOR NOT KNOW HOW TO DO THE JOB OF A CASHER. 6. THE MANAGERS COMPLETELY BERATE YOU IN FRONT OF FELLOW EMPLOYEES AND CUSTOMERS IF YOU DONT KNOW THE ANSWER FOR SOMTHING THAT YOU WERE NEVER TRAINED ON OR EXPOSED TOO. 6. THE COMPANY STEELS MONEY FROM THE EMPLOYEES BY DOCKING COMMISSION IF A CUSTOMER USES THE HHGREGG CARD (5% discount comes out or your pay), CHANGES THE "LANDED COST" WHENEVER THEY WANT TO WITHOUT LETTING THE SALES TEAM KNOW WHICH LEADS TO LOWER COMMISSION. 7. CONSTANTLY MAKES US CHANGE PRICE TAGS WHEN THE PRICE HASNT CHANGED. 8. RAISED "STAFFING" 40% OVER LAST YEAR WHILE TRAFFIC AND SALES ARE DOWN THUS, AGAIN, LOWER PAY CHECKS. ***SUMMING IT UP, ONLY WORK HERE IF ITS YOUR ONLY CHANCE AT A JOB. NEW HIRES ARE TOLD TO EXPECT $800 TO $1,000 PER WEEK WHICH IS RARELY REACHED BY THE TOP PERFORMERS. THE COMPANY HAS NO CONCERN FOR THE SALES PEOPLE, MY REGONAL MANAGER STATED THAT "IF THE SALES PEOPLE... Show more

AJ from the AK

Nov 12, 2013

My wife and I decided we needed a new TV. We went to HH Gregg because they claim to have 30 day price matching. We thought "great", we won't have to stand in line and they will have stock if we go on veterans day. We walked in, told the first sales person let us look around for a while then we would come find them. Within 30 seconds 3 more sales people were circling us like wolfs, we felt very uncomfortable. We found the TV we wanted, it was LG led 47" 3d Google smart unit with a price of 949.99. At the checkout they wanted to sell us the extended warrenty, I was very hesatant until they offerd the 5 year at the 3 year price. We get our TV and a new dyson vacume and a few other items and leave. I get home to register the warranty and the intire receipt was blank except for out name and the total cost at the bottom. We called them because we needed a breakdown to register the TV with the 3rd party insurer. They explained that I had to come back down if I wanted a detailed recipt. I get there and the manager " William Handschumaker" told me it would be a few minutes, 30 minutes later he brings me a black and white printout with the line items and pricing. The printout showed a cost for the TV of 795.00. I asked William why the price was 795.00 yet I thought we had paid 949.00. This is where it gets very shady, borderline fraud. He explain to me that they had to get the money from somewhere to cover the difference for the warranty . I explained to him that the sales person "... Show more

1 0 Reply
They ripped me off

Jan 04 San Jose, California

Well if I was you I would read the reviews on the warranties. They don't honor them at all but they are refundable. So if I was you I would return the warranty because you can get all that cash back and it won't do you any good to keep it.

jones

Oct 23, 2013

I made $1400s for 3 paychecks in a row. An employee on minimum wage leaves. Who can afford to pay for a kid or even themselves on minimum wage? That's crazy. I'm about to loose my car, my phone, and my electricity is about to be shut off. Without loosing any sales, my pay went to minimum wage. I quickly go over my commission sales report to find I was being paid a quarter of what I had been paid before. HHgregg lured me in with good pay and then took it all back.

Elmo

Jul 20

Hhgregg Crystal Lake Illinois.
The only Good thing that happened to me as an associate for Hhgregg crystal lake Illinois was the friends I made there.
That company is terrible!
They make us lie to the customers with that PSP, if we don't sell that we won't make any pay check, they also wants the associate stay after hours for cleaning and tagging merchandise, the managers that I had there mostly were nice, exept for the last one, that was just an *** immature.
I think Hhgregg should be investigated by the department of labor, what they do to their employees is basically against the constitution of the united states. I hope they close their stores around here, my family and friends never will step on their floor to buy anything.
That what all people should do not just to keep people out of that scam PSP as well out of their high interst rate card. Get off HHGregg!

lessonlearned

Oct 07, 2013

I can without hesitation say that HH Gregg is the WORST employer in America. I've been in sales for over 40 years, and never have I seen employees been taken advantage of like this. You report to work hours before your shift (we were told not to punch in the time clock) for "meetings" which turn out to be cleaning, stocking, warehouse work and manual labor. All this without a DIME of compensation since you are a full commission salesperson. You even have to BUY your own uniforms and business cards! Positively the worst job, and that's coming from someone who had a real job since the age of 12. The people I cut grass and ran errands for as a kid treated me better than this company. You could work all week and then owe THEM money! And unless your swindle people into enhanced warranty coverage, you will starve. You don't make anything on a TV, oven or fridge, only the "cheeze" as they refer to it. Oh, you can't sit down, I meant cannot sit down during your shift,even when no customers are in the store. Oh, your healthcare is $500.00 per month for a "family plan" at best. I'll stop here. Get a minimum wage hourly job, you are better off.

1 0 Reply

Sep 20, 2013

This is pissed customer, not disgruntled employee; maybe you employees should post your rants on glassdoor.com. All stores play the price games, so you aren't turning off a customer by crying about having to come in 3 hours early for no pay. FYI, where I live a company cannot require you to attend training, meetings, work, etc(with the exception of salaried employees) without pay. You disgruntled employees have not turned me off to getting a 60" LED tv for $650. See you Saturday HHGregg! :grin

2 1 Reply
HHgregg-employee0283

Aug 21, 2013 Chicago, Illinois

ok i work at a low level at hhgregg at one of the store they have in chicago. I can really say you dont understand retail but it seems to speak for it self. I understand you may have quit or got fired based on money issues or management or for what ever reason but you should not post stuff that is simply untrue or out of the hands of any company. too many dumb people who use the internet might think ever 1% of what you said is right or true in any way which it is not. Now i dont like working for hhgregg but that is only because of how little money there is in the area at which they sell in. this is not hhgreggs fault but the global economic status. So let me start this *** ripping at number 1.

1)what company doesnt change prices lol. the hhgregg way is to always have the lowest price and the best customer service. So if you sell a 699. washer at 20 % off (off the srp = suggested retail price) then next week you sell it at 10% (off the srp which all companys such as best buy, frys, apts , the little guys do for sales)and it comes off the same price is because the landed coast changes week to week unlike bestbuy who is month to month. this may seem like a bad thing but trust me it is really not. its not to *** people over its in place so when companys drop the price of the products we can drop out prices that week and not change them at the end of the month(more work for the salesmen because they change tags EVERY day). so really we are giving the product out
... Show more

Really

Jan 04 San Jose, California

I don't work for hhgregg, but I can see why you are a low level employee. You need to clear your head of thinking your smarter than people because you can babble the longest, it not going to get you anywhere in life. When you try to cut a guy down by saying " we don't sell warranties we sell protection plans" and then say "they are the number one warranty company in the world". Come on man your just a clown.

Mar 25 Richmond, Virginia

Everything he posted was true about a lot of stores. Just cause you didn't have the experience he did doesn't mean you can try to belittle him and tell him he's wrong. And for those that don't like what he has to say on here... Dont read it. It's obvious he's not trying to please you. Hhgregg screws over a lot of people. Their management needs to be monitored in a lot of stores. Corporate simply doesn't care. Terrible company.

Sad but true

Apr 12, 2013 Niles, Illinois

You did not mention all the free hours of labor they take!!!! Come in 3 hours early, don't punch in because it will through you into draw. Why 3 hours early?? For a supposed sales meeting that lasts 20 minutes as your told how many of the metrics you are failing to achieve. Then guess what, clean and organize the store, for free!!! I am a commission only salesman who makes no money arriving 3 hours early, or staying 3 hours late. After putting in 10 to 15 hours a week, at no pay, I had it and left. Terrible business model for any employee, great for HHGregg. Out and Out theft of my time. Can't imagine how or why anyone stays there. Those claiming big CONSISTENT incomes are hard for me to believe. I worked hard and left with no draw, and still made peanuts because of the crooked way they base landed cost. I truly felt bad for the customers I packed with worthless warranties. I am glad to rid of this poorly managed, deceivingly cunning, company. If you are in Chicago, stick with ABT.

Papi Chulo

Apr 02, 2013 Niles, Illinois

I've been working in sales for over 40 years in a variety of companies. H. H. Gregg is by far, the WORST company I have ever worked for! No decent retail company on Earth makes their salesmen buy their own BUSINESS CARDS. We also had to buy ALL of our required, red H. H. Gregg shirts. I'm sure they found a way to get a kickback for every shirt ordered....

Like so many other publicly traded companies, the Greggsters do not pay a salary versus commission. They've got "Draw vs. Commission". This means that the minimum wage they pay us for a regular, full-time week (40 hrs.) must be paid back before we get cent #1. If there is a slow week with slow traffic and few sales, employees have to pay back that draw out of the next check PRIOR to collecting any commission! This means that ALL Gregg employees work their first 40 weekly hours without net pay.

Out of the 15 store sales people currently working here, only 3 currently are on a pace to earn over $30,000 this year. I'm not one of them. My 2012 earnings here was UNDER $20K and I lead my department in sales! With 3 other people to support at home, I qualify for the "working poor" category.

I have estimated that across their entire sales force, H.H. Gregg rips us (employees) off for over $50 million per year! There's only one consistent way for us to make any money, and that is to sell extended warranries, or PSP, or "Cheese" as it's nicknamed by us. Without the warranty sales, we don't
... Show more

Wifi

Feb 02, 2013

hhgregg is hurting now. Sales are down 18% how will they make up for this? The answer is employees. They do not pay their sales people overtime and they work them at least 1 12 hour shift a week. This is all year. Holidays are worse people are schedules 24 hours and discouraged from taking breaks! They know they can get away with most of it because commission laws are barely laws...

HHGregg current

Nov 16, 2012

I though I hated my job with the company!! Sales is sales. It's cut throat. There are shady ppl in every store. I think the worst thing about our store is the lack of experience in the management. There is zero consistency or communication between the three of them. Trying to locate one when u need them is a whole other story. I don't know about y'all but I keep track ofy paychecks and if something is wrong I do a little thing called a file back to get paid. The rebates are always taken care or and they no longer screw u when landeds change. U get paid according to what the landed was the day u sold the item. I usually don't defend this company but it sounds like most of you just sucked at ur jobs.

1-20 of 49 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about HHGregg.
Filing a new complaint about
×